Auto Insurance Quote Forms
Looking for coverage? Click any of the following links to submit a quote for quick, accurate and affordable rates.
Auto Insurance Customer Service Options
Self policy service any time of the day, directly from our website. To request a policy change on your account, click any of the following policy service options below.
Auto Insurance Information
Auto Insurance in Woodbridge, CT
What is auto insurance?
Auto insurance protects you against financial loss if you have an accident. It is a contract between you and the insurance company. You agree to pay the premium and the insurance company agrees to pay your losses as defined in your policy.
Auto insurance provides property, liability and medical coverage:
- Property coverage pays for damage to or theft of your car.
- Liability coverage pays for your legal responsibility to others for bodily injury or property damage.
- Medical coverage pays for the cost of treating injuries, rehabilitation and sometimes lost wages and funeral expenses.
An auto insurance policy is comprised of six different kinds of coverage. Most states require you to buy some, but not all, of these coverages. If you're financing a car, your lender may also have requirements.
Most auto policies are for six months or a year. Your insurance company should notify you by mail when it's time to renew the policy and to pay your premium.
Why would I want to have higher limits than the state minimum?
So maybe you don't drive a Mercedes, so it's ok to carry low limits, right? WRONG. You may not drive an expensive car but the person you have an accident with does, in fact, their car is worth about $50,000 and you totaled it by rear ending them. Your company will pay, right? Nope. Your company will pay out what they have to and then the other driver could sue YOU for the additional damages incurred. And what if not only did you total their car but they also broke their arm? They obviously need a Rental car while their car gets fixed too, then what? You can see how the $$ adds up fast. It really doesn't cost much to increase your limits and it is SO worth it. At least carry $100,000/$300,000 if not $250,000/$500,000 and if you own a home too, seriously consider getting an umbrella policy.
Why do you need auto insurance?
It's really all about protecting yourself financially.
- If you're in an accident or your car is stolen, it costs money, often a lot of money, to fix or replace it.
- If you or any passengers are injured in an accident, medical costs can be extremely expensive.
- If you or your car is responsible for damage or injury to others, you may be sued for much more than you're worth.
- Not only is having insurance a prudent financial decision, many states require you to have at least some coverage.
Questions to ask your agent
Your Independent Agent is an advocate for finding auto insurance that meets your specific needs. Here are a few things to consider as you prepare for the discussion:
- How much can you afford to pay if you get in an accident? (To keep premiums low you may want to have a higher deductible and be willing to pay more for repairs.)
- What is the insurance company's level of service and ability to pay claims?
- What discounts are available? (Ask about good driver, multiple policy and student discounts.)
- What's the procedure for filing and settling a claim? (Ask who to call and what happens after you file a claim.)
- How to bundle auto and homeowners insurance
Thank you for your interest in Svendsen Insurance. We work with multiple A+ carriers to bring you the best coverage, knowledgeable staff and quality customer service. Please feel free to call our office at 203-397-3993 or email your questions and an insurance agent will reply promptly.
Car Insurance Related Blog Articles:
Who Is Covered in Your Auto Insurance Policy?
What is this Coverage Anyway Video Series
Svendsen Insurance services:
Woodbridge, New Haven, Hartford, Litchfield, Branford, Wallingford, Meriden
and surrounding areas throughout Connecticut.